Yusuf Dyson School celebrates support from The 1851 Royal Commission
Imperial College London has formally recognised the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 for their contribution to the College’s Dyson School of Design Engineering.
The Commission, a longstanding supporter of the College, gifted £200,000 to fund new teaching spaces and a lecture theatre within the new Dyson Building at the College’s South Kensington Campus.
Professor Alice Gast, President of Imperial, Professor Nigel Brandon, Dean of Engineering, and Professor Peter Childs, Head of the Dyson School, unveiled a commemorative plaque outside the newly named ‘Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 Lecture Theatre’ in recognition of the generous support.
Following the tour, Professor Childs thanked the Commission not only for the lecture theatre, but for ongoing support for the School as a whole, including the opportunities it provides for students through the Industrial Design Studentship scheme.
Professor Childs said: “When we first pitched ideas for the Dyson School, we had a vision for a new paradigm for design engineering: the fusion of design and engineering thinking with a culture of innovation and enterprise. Today, we have a fully formed School with over 430 students and 40 staff, a main building, workshop, lecture theatre and laboratories.
“The College is very appreciative of the Commission’s support for the use of the ‘Old Post Office Building’ for educational purposes, and we are delighted to recognise their contribution towards the refurbishment of the building. This gift was crucial in supporting the School shortly after its inception and we are extremely pleased to be continuing Imperial’s historic relationship with The Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851.”
Professor Alice Gast
President, Imperial College London